Dr. Thomas Youm is a Board-Certified Orthopaedic Surgeon who specializes in the treatment of athletic injuries and performs arthroscopic and reconstructive surgery of the shoulder, knee, and hip. He has a special interest in joint preservation surgery for the active patient. He performs cutting-edge procedures such as robot-assisted unicompartmental arthroplasty of the knee, bicompartmental arthroplasty of the knee, total knee replacement using custom block technology, shoulder resurfacing arthroplasty, reverse total shoulder arthroplasty, hip resurfacing arthroplasty, and hip arthroscopy for labral tears and femoral acetabular impingement (FAI). He is also certified in cartilage replacement surgery for the treatment of cartilage lesions of the knee.
A native of Long Island, New York, Dr. Youm graduated cum laude from Yale University. He attended New York University Medical School where he was elected to the AOA honors society. He completed his orthopaedic residency at NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases. While in residency, Dr. Youm completed specialized training in orthopaedic trauma surgery at Seattle’s Harborview Hospital, one of the busiest and most respected trauma centers in the country.
After residency, Dr. Youm went on to complete a Sports Medicine Fellowship at the prestigious Kerlan-Jobe Orthopaedic Clinic in Los Angeles, California. During his fellowship, he participated in the orthopaedic care of the Los Angeles Lakers, Dodgers, Avengers, Sparks, Galaxy, and USC Football teams. He was also selected to be the physician for the Los Angeles Dodgers Dominican Republic team in the spring of 2005.
Dr. Youm has published over 18 articles and has presented at numerous national meetings on the topics of total joint replacement surgery and orthopaedic sports medicine. He is a Clinical Assistant Professor at the NYU School of Medicine where he teaches both medical students and orthopaedic residents. He is also a member of the Sports Medicine Department at NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases. Dr. Youm staffs the Sports Medicine Clinic at the Manhattan VA Hospital and the Adult Reconstructive Surgery Clinic at NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases. He is a faculty member of the Joint Replacement Center and the Hip Center at the NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases.
Dr. Youm is a member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine, and the Arthroscopy Association of North America.
- Yale University, New Haven, CT
- New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY
General Surgery Internship
- New York University Medical Center, New York, NY
Orthopaedic Surgery Residency
- Hospital for Joint Diseases, New York, NY
Sports Medicine Fellowship
- Kerlan-Jobe Orthopaedic Clinic, Los Angeles, CA
- Clinical Assistant Professor, New York University School of Medicine
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American College of Surgeons
- Arthroscopy Association of North America
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- Medical Society County of New York
- Korean American Medical Practitioners of NY (KAMPANY)
- NYU-HJD Joint Replacement Center of NYC
- Hip Center at the NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases
- NY Manhattan VA Hospital
- Click here to view Thomas Youm CV
1056 5th Ave